Saturday, 10 January 2015

Introduction

Readers who already know me will be aware that, until fairly recently, much of my time was taken up with campaigning for a Yes vote in the Scottish independence referendum. 

As tens of thousands were joining the SNP post-referendum, many were signing up to be branch office bearers, going for selection as Westminster candidates and generally immersing themselves in the new found excitement and enthusiasm of party politics. I am very happy that they've done so, and it's great to see the SNP tent bigger and stronger than ever before! 

For me, I went in the slightly opposite direction. As everyone else threw themselves into Westminster selection contests, I decided it was time to enjoy a bit of my spare time after years of electioneering and campaigning for independence. I made a commitment to my friends, my wife and myself that, after the referendum, I would try to take a step back from the endless hours of leafleting, canvassing and ferocious political tweeting. I still do all of that on a much smaller scale but not to the extent that my Facebook and twitter feeds would give you the impression that there is little else to life than rattling letterboxes and campaign selfies...

Regardless of the outcome of the referendum, I made a decision that, once it was all over and done with, I would buy and use an Airdrieonians FC season ticket again; attend Church on a regular basis and develop my new interest in fishing.

So, true to my word, I ceased being Branch Organiser for Glasgow Shettleston SNP, stood down as SNP youth National Convener and its representative to party NEC. 

Passing on those commitments has allowed me to pursue fishing, football and faith... amongst other interests, of course. This blog is designed to allow me to muse away on these topics, share the odd photo and generally throw some thoughts out there, and perhaps get feedback on the fishing! 

I've never been one for writing a daily diary, partly because I don't always have the time. However, it seemed to me that a blog might be a good way of sharing my interests and photos with family, friends and those who have similar interests.

Although I still work in politics, this isn't meant to be a political blog and I don't really foresee using this to promote political views and opinions. There are plenty of other places to get analysis and insight into Scottish, UK and international politics. 

It may well be that this blog lasts a few weeks and, due to lack of time, interest or interaction, it simply fades away into hibernation. Hopefully it doesn't, though. 

So, here goes...

2 comments:

  1. Yeeeha, looking forward to reading your updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Football, fishing and faith' - Sounds like the trappings of a potentially good blog!

    ReplyDelete